Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Brown Darling

I haven't really had much practice starting a blog (except for Xanga eons ago). For right now, the website will be pretty basic until I figure out how to add all the "fancy" stuff. I want to share a few of my finds the past week. For starters, I'll start with this. After a lot of soul searching, I decided to start painting. I have always loved to draw here and there, but I felt within me that I wanted to start painting.

My daughter Hannah, ever so supportive, got my wooden painting set and easel combo that I hoarded in the garage for over 12+ years. I set it up in my bedroom on the floor since one leg of the easel was missing, so I had no other choice. I was content with it for about a week, but my back started to ache. I also started worrying about the carpet, never mind the sheet I had spread around. My other two daughters wanted to jump in and paint also. It was getting cramped.

I went to a garage sale near my house last Saturday and while looking at a lovely mirror (which I also got) in the corner of my eye, I noticed a wooden piece of furniture secretly stashed on the side near the garage door. It looked strange. The owner quickly showed me how the top goes up. How the drawers pulled open, etc. I quickly dismissed it, then after a few minutes, I walked back to it and took a closer look. First I was fascinated by how unique it was, then I had my AHA! moment. I could use it for my paints! I loved the deep drawers. I asked how much- she said $10. I offered $5. Deal.

 So here's my Brown Darling:
*Notice how everything opens up. I can leave my paint brushes in jars and still close the top on it. It is THAT deep. I didn't even realize it UNTIL I put all of my paint equipment inside.
You can see this area where I organized all the oils and acrylics. The black trays already came in the kit. I simply "tore" it out of the wooden box and cut it to modify. One was a bit too long. Perfect.

  The two little silver ash trays: FREE (from the people who sold me the Brown Darling). I use them to rest my paint brushes


Here's a bit of EXTRAS I found at another WONDERFUL GARAGE SALE on the same day: The two blue jars you see in the Brown Darling: Both for .75
 The small end table to the left of my easel: $5.00
 The little plastic stand under my easel: FREE (they were closing down and needed to get rid of more stuff) Purple Yoga mat: FREE (for paint splatters)
White mattress protector: FREE (for paint splatters)


 In this picture, you can see the "scale" of the Brown Darling. She may not be much, but alas how much I love her. In my mind, I'm picturing all kinds of colors I can paint her.

 The room is NOT finished. I still need to add more furniture, curtains, and such.

You can see the lovely mirror to your left. That is also from the first garage sale where I got the Brown Darling. $5.00

 I plan to use the mirror for my daughter's room. So there you go, a sneak peak of her room in progress. The only thing I am giving away is....her room will be done in shabby chic French.

In this picture, you can see my broken (but modified) easel. I will be posting about the Wine Chest Storage you see to your left soon. All the items on it are from garage sales or thrift stores. Keep posted!

 Now, the final question is: Should I paint the Brown Darling, or leave it as?

 *Julie Ann*

3 comments:

  1. Love your items you purchased! Everything looks great! I love the brown darling, I wouldn't paint it. Old/wood has so much character! Once you figure out how to blog...teach me! I've been trying to for awhile and have problems even trying to figure out how to follow my favorite bloggers! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sent you an email in response. :-) Glad you like the stuff. Keep coming back for more.

      Delete
    2. Hey! I never got an email!?? I looked in all my folders, including junk mail but didn't see one from you! :(

      Delete